[GLLUG] Hot Swap an ATA Hard Drive -Another Approach

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:21:54 -0500 (EST)

I use firewire (ieee1394/iLink) for that purpose and mobility. The cases
are ~30-40 bucks and makes everything pretty portable between machines,
like my DVD-RW is in a firewire case so i can move it between machines, as
well as harddrives.

Firewire 800 is starting to appear, which is 2x as fast as the old
Firewire which gets rid of some of the limitations in the firewire
protocal, like you don't have to daisey chain everything, and better
support for IP/firewire.