[GLLUG] UPS trouble

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Mon Jul 23 13:43:20 EDT 2012

I doubt this has much anything to do with the normal waveform itself.
Based on the price, that's going to be a dumb contact closure device.  Even
the voltage from those is unstable in a mild brownout, etc.  Basically, not
suitable for modern electronics.  Most anything with an unregulated DC
wallwort should be safe, and lightly loaded pcs on old switching power
supplies often survive.

Basically, stick your Nat router on the contact closure device and get an
AVR unit for anything that matters.  I strongly recommend cyberpower over
apc.  If you can use a serial port unit, I may be willing to cut you a deal
on a used 900avr with new, extended runtime batteries (I want a second
rack-mount unit).