Apache question

Adam McDougall mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:05:18 -0500 (EST)

What does it do instead of bring up the index.html?
I am pretty sure the Right Thing to Do is terminate all non-file url's
with a /, and it actually takes extra work if you dont, on the part of the
browser and the webserver.  Usually it will have trouble when you do this
if the hostname the webserver thinks it is does not resolve to the ip or
hostname that the client is supposed to actually use.
If you have multiple ip's on your server it will probably try to respond
with the "main" ip if you dont otherwise state something in the httpd.conf

Example:  http://www.blah.com/somedir
browser asks the server for the url
server says ?!?!?! "try http://server43.superhosting.com/somedir/"
(or "try http://hostname.myfakedomainnameIuseinternally.com/somedir/"
browser continues to pull up the wrong thing.