For those wanting Redhat 6.2 CDs....

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 16:18:23 -0500 (EST)

On 1 Apr 2000, Ben Pfaff wrote:

> Sean <picasso@madflower.com> writes:
>
> [...ftp transfers...]
> > The second biggest problem I have seen is the passive/active mode problem.
> > This actually lets you download the entire file, but it doesnt write the
> > end of the file charactor on the end.
>
> ???  There is no "end of the file" character.

That might not be technically correct. =)  I have had a problem using
the wrong active/passive mode. The client hangs at 100% finished,
the file is there in its entirety, but when you go to use it the program
to manipulate it, it gives an error no end of file. The same kind of error
if you would have stopped it if it was at 1% finished.

IIRC Its a communications problem between the client and the server. The
client doesnt recognize the file transfer is over so it doesnt finish the
last routine ending the transfer which I assume is as simple as putting
putting and EOF charactor at the end. I have more experience with the
problem using Mac Clients than I have with Unix ones. There is a utility
for the Mac that does fix the problem. It also happens more behind a
firewall/proxy and NT FTP servers.

I honestly don't know much more about it than that.