Building NIS Package

Matt Fuerst fuerstma@msu.edu
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 22:21:07 -0400

Greetings all,

I am in the impetus of building a test NIS network on my home network here.
I have got the ypserv package from kernel.org.. it is version 1.3.9, if that
matters.

I attempt to build it using the provided BUILD script, and get the following
errors:

<various good, happy messages>
checking for gdbm_open in -lgdbm... no
checking for dbm_open... no

 You need the GNU GDBM or the Solaris NDBM functions for this package !

make: *** No targets.  Stop.

I know I have GDBM installed but not much else. I know this from running the
following command:

[root@offspring /root]# rpm -qa | grep gdbm
gdbm-1.8.0-2

So it looks like that is installed (I see on rpmfind that there is a
developers package, do I need that also?) Also, I have no experience with
gdbm so I do not know how to check to see if it is running (though I am
R-ingTFM right now).

Another potential problem (I don't know if it contributes to this or not) is
that for hard drive size restriction reasons I didn't have RedHat install
any development stuff with the standard install (hey, RedHat 6.1 barely
installs on a 540 meg drive with nothing installed!) I have since put most
of the tools and libraries in but I might be missing something that is key
(the level of compiling tools I need/regularly use requires gcc to compile a
"hello world" level program successfully).

 Any pointers?

Thanks a ton!

Matt

Matt Fuerst
Michigan State University - Home of the 2000 NCAA National Basketball
Champions!
"Sometimes I, feel so small,
Sometimes I think I can beat them all,
but most of the time, I just feel confused."

-- Henry Rollins "Fall Guy"