LILO not there

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Thu, 06 Apr 2000 12:53:35 -0400

HELP!  LILO won't come up.

I've been trying to put together a system that will in essence
sit on the network at one of the schools and provide hard drive
storage space via Samba.  The school had a couple of 28GB IDE
hard drives sitting on a shelf that I've snagged to use in this
project.  The system is a Compaq Deskpro (pentium) with 32MB
ram.  I have a 1.2GB hard drive (original to the system) on port
0x1f0 (primary) partitioned as /boot=16MB, swap=127MB,
/=remainder.  /var & /usr occupy total 3GB on one of the large
drives and /home is 3GB on the other large drive.  The CD drive
is on port 0x170 (secondary).  The 28GB drives are on a Promise
Ultra33 PCI card at port 0x1040 (which is odd because I thought
the normal 3rd and 4th ports were at 0x1e8 and 0x168).  The
remainder of the two big drives are RAID 0 (because I wanted
them as a large drive and couldn't figure out linear raid - it
appears linear raid can only be done on a system already in
place and I was doing a new install).  We're using RedHat 6.2.

The system has installed ok.  All the drives were properly
recognized and after a little time with a couple of small
glitches the system itself is fine - except it won't boot
without using the custom boot disk the Redhat install makes.
When I reboot without a boot disk I see all the
bios/memory/drive info and then just a blank screen with the
underscore cursor at the top left - it never goes any further -
no LILO.

Any ideas what's going on here?

<</etc/lilo.conf>>
boot=/dev/hda