articles

Bibbs, Christopher Christopher_Bibbs@compuware.com
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 14:50:15 -0400

I doubt either author read the Jackson's writings.  They certainly don't
seem to understand what a monopoly is according to the Sherman Act.  If they
did read them, they decided not to refute the arguments there and instead
made up new ones to refute.

In any case, it makes no sense to argue with them point by point.  They've
chosen points they can win and structured the argument to have one logical
conclusion.  Really and excellent debate tactic and one which I'll employ
below.

1) Microsoft is a monopoly by definition as written in the Sherman Act.  It
doesn't matter if they got to that position naturally, illegally, or the
will of God.  The point is in 1996 and today Microsoft holds monopoly power
in the Intel-compatible PC operating system market.

2) Using said power they forced (through contracts and technical schemes)
OEMs to distribute Internet Explorer.  Forced bundling of products by a
monopoly is illegal.

3) Using economic advantages gained from their monopoly power, Microsoft
dumped software on independent Internet access providers and contractually
forced them to reduce shipments of Netscape.

No further points need be made.  A crime was committed and needs to be
punished.  You might argue that a break up is too severe, but that's not
what the editorials are about, are they.

Christopher Bibbs