linux + old laptop = ??

Paul Melson melson@scnc.holt.k12.mi.us
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 21:43:44 -0400

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 05:31:39PM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Personally I don't think you'd want to run X on a 386 anyhow, and
> certainly not with 4 MB RAM.  Why not just use vi (or a small
> version of Emacs) and LaTeX?  Probably would work just fine.

	I thought he said it was a 486..?  In which case,
	it might not be so bad.  Back in the 1.2.x days I
	had my 486/33 w/ 8MB running xf86 and xmosaic.
	It wasn't any slower than WFW3.11 on the same
	hardware.  You're right, though, for strict word
	processing and e-mail Emacs and mutt would do
	the job at much more tolerable speeds.

Disclaimer:  The previous sentence should not be misconstrued as an
endorsement of Emacs over vi.  I do not wish to offend the purists. :)

PaulM

--
							melson@holt.k12.mi.us