netlink

Jeff Goeke-Smith jeff@goeke.net
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 19:38:14 -0400

<snip>
 Funny was that on winipcfg the default gateway was not filled in.
<snip>

Be aware that some cards ( or perhaps this is true for all cards under
windows) have a mode called IPautoconfig.  This causes the card to pick up a
random IP if it can't pick up an address from a DHCP server.   If I recall
correctly, I have seen the addresses in the range of 160.*.*.* but that
could be wrong.  Check winipcfg for an address in 35.10.*.* for registered
machines on MSUs campus and 35.15.*.* for "unregistered" machines in MSUs
campus.  Any other addresses I would be wary of as coming from some other
source (rogue dhcp servers or random configuration).  I note this because as
you said, the default gateway wasn't filled in.  When a card autoconfigs it
doesn't fill in a gateway.   I hope this is of some help.

--Jeff Goeke-Smith