SCSI-ness

Matt Fuerst fuerstma@msu.edu
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:25:11 -0400

Hello all!

I have what should be a relatively simple question. I have an Onstream
ADR-50 Tape Drive that I need to install in a machine. The connector on the
Onstream is the 68 Pin high density type....

Unforuntely, we need some additional hardware since the machine we are
installing it into has got SCSI built in, but the connector is the 50 pin,
(low density?) type. The only other thing on that SCSI bus is the CD-ROM.

Allright, so I need a 68 --> 50 pin adaptor. But now comes the question of
gender. The tape drive is meant to be plugged into a connector, so it is a
male. (Aren't all internal drives?) And the cable that is sitting inside my
machine is waiting to accept a connector (Female)...

What I am thinking I need is a 68 pin female to 50 pin male adaptor.. is
that right? I hope I have explained the situation enough for you to properly
visualize this.

I look at this adapter
http://www.cyberguys.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?UID=2000042515272922&GEN9=5CG0
1&PAGLEN=10&FNM=00&T1=131+1630&UREQA=1&UREQB=2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4
and it looks like the 68 pin side won't accept the male-ness of my tape
drive.

I look at this adapter
http://www.cyberguys.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?UID=2000042515272922&GEN9=5CG0
1&PAGLEN=10&FNM=00&T1=131+1640&UREQA=1&UREQB=2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4
and it looks like the 50 pin side won't plug into the cable that already
exists in the machine on the SCSI chain.

Can anyone help me on this? Do I just have to buy one of these adapters and
then buy a gender changer for it or something?

Thanks for anyhelp!

Matt

Matt Fuerst
Michigan State University - Home of the 2000 NCAA National Basketball
Champions!
"Sometimes I, feel so small,
Sometimes I think I can beat them all,
but most of the time, I just feel confused."

-- Henry Rollins "Fall Guy"