Things and stuff

Tim Owen timowen@voyager.net
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:29:12 -0500

Sounds interesting.

1. We have loaded Zope here recently and we could possibly do a Zope
follow-up to your Python topic at a future meeting.  We need some time to
work with it.  Lots of add-ons to Zope including the Portal Toolkit (PTK),
ZopeStudio (dev environment based on Mozilla), Zcommerce, and several others
that are interesting.

2. WINE is another topic that is interesting to me.  Or more generally,
running Windows apps under Linux (Citrix, VMWare, WINE, Graphon, etc.).

3. Java on Linux is also intriguing.  Enhydra and EJBoss are interesting
open source Java app servers.

4. Open source tape backup/restore technology for Linux.

5. Don't know the history enough to know if mail servers, web servers,
printing, fax servers, firewalls, etc. have been discussed recently or not.

Real question is how close to pure networking concepts does the group want
to stay?  Is open source in general fair game?  For example, Postgres,
MySQL, OpenMerchant, and other open source projects.  Perl, Bash, Tcl/Tk,
PHP, the GNU C/C++ compilers, Emacs/Vi are also areas we could pursue.
Modem configuration, network configuration, advanced networking, file system
information, overview of protocols and utilities (FTP, telnet, rlogin,
etc.), and the list goes on.

Hope This Helps,
Tim