raid on a new server

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:25:05 -0400

We're setting up a new server for one of the elementary
schools.  It'll be the first school that we try a Linux only
server solution.  The hardware is a Compaq Proliant 2500 with a
pair of 4.3GB SCSI hard drives.  I'd like to raid0 (or even
raid-linear if I could figure it out) at least part of both of
these drives to obtain as large a file storage space as I can.
I was thinking I'd put /boot, /, and the swap space on sda with
/var & /usr on sdb - then raid the rest of both drives for
/home.  The only way I know to accomplish this is with the GUI
install of RH6.2 (I've successfully done it once before that
way), the text install doesn't appear to support raid.  The
problem is the RH install won't work with the Cirrus GD54xx
chipset in the server in GUI mode - which I don't understand at
all as I thought CL chipsets were supported by X11.  I've also
tried Mandrake 7 and it won't come up in GUI either.

Anybody have any ideas how I can either get RH6.2 to come up in
GUI mode, or ways to do the raid setup from text either before
or after the server install is accomplished?

I'd really like to get this installed.  We have linux doing
routing, providing network storage space, and providing DHCP for
M$ and Mac clients in a few buildings now, but this is the first
time we've gotten approval to do a Linux only server solution in
a school.

TIA

Mike Rambo
Lansing School District