History Question

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
03 Aug 2000 17:54:40 -0400

[Looks like you accidentally dropped the linux-user CC, so I've
added it back in.]

"Tim Schmidt" <computer_holic@hotmail.com> writes:

> Yeah, considdering Linux as the kernel, it has absolutely 0 ties with BSD...
>   not even shared code, right?

Right.  Actually, Linux is one of few UNIX-like systems that
doesn't use the BSD networking stack.

> so this guy's waaaaay off base.  and from what you've said, the
> GNU utils borrow only slightly if at all from BSD so that they
> can't be considdered as being based on BSD.  Is it ok with
> everyone if I mail this thread to the guy who wrote the
> article?

I'd certainly prefer to see some authoritative cites rather than
just the lot of us talking amongst ourselves.
--
"To the engineer, the world is a toy box full of sub-optimized and
 feature-poor toys."