OT, But interesting

Tim Schmidt computer_holic@hotmail.com
Sun, 06 Aug 2000 17:39:16 GMT

>From: "Tim Schmidt" <computer_holic@hotmail.com>
>To: linux-user@egr.msu.edu
>Subject: Re: OT, But interesting
>Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 17:03:06 GMT
>
>>From: Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@msu.edu>
>>To: "Tim Schmidt" <computer_holic@hotmail.com>
>>CC: linux-user@egr.msu.edu
>>Subject: Re: OT, But interesting
>>Date: 06 Aug 2000 10:15:02 -0400
>>
>>"Tim Schmidt" <computer_holic@hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > http://www.hardocp.com/news_images/2000/aug2k/080500b.html
>>
>>I'm unable to read that article with lynx, w3m, or links: all I
>>get is links to three "IFRAME"s, which just contain ads, no
>>content.
>
>works in Netscape...
>

>> > It appears that Intel is not only factory overclocking their
>> > CPUs [...]
>>
>>Isn't that an oxymoron, or a misnomer?  As I understand it, when
>>you go to a chip fab, there aren't separate assembly lines
>>cranking out 60 ns and 70 ns, nor are there separate assembly
>>lines cranking out 866 MHz and 933 MHz Pentium IIIs, and so on.
>>Rather, each chip that comes off the line is tested for its
>>performance, where they crank up the speed until it fails at N
>>MHz, and then they sell it as an (N - delta) MHz chip.
>>
>>On the other hand, overclocking is running a chip at a faster
>>speed than recommended by the manufacturer.  So the factory
>>*can't* overclock chips.  They could recommend that you run it
>>faster than it would actually work, I suppose, but in that case
>>it's a defective chip and you should be able to exchange for a
>>working one.

I was reading over your question again Ben, and realized an even better way
to explain why those "questionable tactics" are "factory overclocking."
Here it goes.  You're right, whe a chip comes off the line, it's tested to
see how fast it can run -- but the testing is done at default settings (in
this case, 1.6v, no microcode, stock HSF).  At this point, AMD stamps the
speed on them and ships them off.  Intel however, takes the fastest of these
chips, ups the voltage (just as any other OC'er is experienced in doing),
slaps on a massive HSF, to see how much higher they can get it (in other
words, it's being overclocked from it's normal tested rating -- at the
factory).  If it doesn't run 100% stable, they write some new microcode to
disable whatever part of the processor is giving them problems at that
speed.  Of course that's an over-simplification of how microcode works, but
you get the point.

Did this explain it better?  Why it's refered to as factory overclocking?