OT, But interesting

Tim Schmidt computer_holic@hotmail.com
Sun, 06 Aug 2000 22:18:59 GMT

>From: Sean <picasso@madflower.com>
>To: Tim Schmidt <computer_holic@hotmail.com>
>CC: linux-user@egr.msu.edu
>Subject: Re: OT, But interesting
>Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 14:16:11 -0400 (EDT)
>
>Does AMD use IBM's Copper technology? I know Intel licensed the Copper
>Technology with the "coppermine" series,

Actually, Coppermine is a misnomer.  All Intel chips currently use aluminum
technology.  AMD is still using Aluminum tech at it's Texas foundry where
all Durons and a few Thunderbirds are being produced, AMD is using copper
tech (dunno if it's liscenced from IBM) at it's Dresden plant in Germany
where most of the Thunderbirds are being produced as well as all of the
upcomming Corvette mobile Athlons.

>but Its a bit tricky to get it to
>work right especially with large chips. IBM is having a hard time getting
>it to work correctly with the G-4 series chips which have 2.5  times more
>transistors then the G-3 series does.

AMD's Copper Thunderbirds (some un-godly ammount of transistors, like 3x as
many as the G4) are working beautifully.

>The copper technology rocks.  They took the G-3 300 design, shrank the die
>from .20 to .18 and lowered the voltage and upped the clock to I believe
>400MHZ and basically ended up with a faster chip that used less energy. (I
>think it was from 6watts to 3.5watts.) This is why Apple can ship the
>_real_ G-3 chip in its portables and not some cut down version like the
>"mobile series". Also, its why if you get a desktop box, your more likely
>to get a motorola chip (which I believe still uses aluminum) and if you
>get a portable your more likely to get an IBM chip. It's also part of the
>reason why they are shipping machines without cooling fans(iCube, iMac).

Yes, the lowering of voltage and wattage sed is a product of the die shrink,
using copper instead of aluminum apparantly won't make much of a difference
with .15, and will only start to show up when .13u chips hit shelves.  The
Thunderbirds use anywhere from 30 to 45W depending on speed.

>As far as stamping the speeds on the chips, IBM/Motorola looked at the
>demand before stamping the chips. If they made a batch with a great yield
>of 500MHZ chips, some of those might get stamped as 400MHZ just because
>they were out of the 400MHZ chips. Which increases the chances of being
>able to overclock them significantly. I dont know if Intel or AMD uses the
>same technique or not.

Yes, all fabs do.  including everything from graphics processors to memory
(assuming there's more than one speed grade available).

>Clock chipping (overclocking just the chip) has traditionally been
>unstable and never resulted in major _real_ performance gains. Its a
>little different story then overclocking your entire board as far as the
>benefits.

On PC's, OC'ing the chip can yield --massive-- benefits, like a 25-45%
performance increase (Duron 600Mhz -> 950Mhz).

>This throws out a couple of questions.
>First MHZ to MHZ do the AMD and Intel chips stack up equally as far as RL
>performance?

Yes and no.  Here's the breakdown:

Both AMD and Intel have a "flagship" and a "value" chip.  They both use the
same respective core, the only difference is (front side) bus speed and L2
Cache configuration.  AMD's Core is equal to Intel's in RW performance
except in FP where it's about 30% faster.

Duron vs. Celeron

The Duron is approx 25% faster than the same speed Celeron, here's why:

-Duron: L1: 128k  L2: 64k  exclusive design (64bit bus, 16-way)
-Celeron2 (Celermine): L1: 32k  L2: 128k  inclusive design (256bit bus,
8-way)

As you can see, the Duron has 32k more cache, and more of it's cache is
closer to the core.  The duron however, has another advantage and that is
that info in the L1 does not have to be duplicated in L2 but the Celeron's
L1 has to be duplicated in L2...  Effectively giving the Celeron 96k of L2
and pusing the Duron to 64k more cache than the Celeron.

Thunderbird vs. Coppermine

The Thunderbird is significantly faster than Coppermine at lower speeds (ala
600Mhz), but at 1Ghz, they score about equal with Coppermine coming out on
top in slightly more benchmarks.  This is due mainly to the Coppermine's
superior L2 Cache design.

-Thunderbird: L1: 128k  L2:256k exclusive design (64bit bus, 16-way)
-Coppermine: L1: 32k  L2:256k inclusive design (256bit bus, 8-way)

As you can see, the Thunderbird has 128k more cache (counting the
inclusive/exclusive design) than the Coppermine, The Thunderbird is even
more likely to find what it needs in it's cache (16-was assosciative,
divides the cache into 16 different caching sectors).  However, the
Coppermine has 4x the bandwidth to it's L2 Cache, making it nearly as fast
as L1.

>If Intel is disabling some unstable code, could this be some of the code
>specifically on the chip for the SPEC tests (Intel has a set of
>instructions on the chip specifically written for the SPEC tests and
>only used for that)?

Possible, you'd have to ask an engineer.

>If the internal clock speed of the Pentium is running at 100MHZ what
>is the benefit of clocking the rest of the chip to 1ghz? Your still
>processing information internally at 100MHZ.

Coppermine's run at 133Mhz FSB (Front-side bus), that's the speed of the bus
it uses to communicate with memory, PCI/AGP busses.  The Athlon/Duron family
runs at a 100Mhz DDR bus (effectively 200Mhz) soon to be increased to 266Mhz
(133Mhz x2), the upcoming P IV Willamette runs a 400Mhz bus (Really 100Mhz
x4 like mega-DDR).  The Wilamette takes a RISC-esque approach that will be
it's downfall however, instead of adding transistors for parallel processing
(called super-scalar design) it drastically reduces the number of
transistors and lengthens the pipeline (to 20 stages, as compared to the
Athlon's 13 stages and the PIII's 11).  This allows the chip to be run much
cooler and hence clocked much higher, but it also --drastically-- reduces
performance in the real world.  It appears as if Intel is trying for the
crowd that looks at the Mhz rating, in essence, they're pullig a similar
trick to Cyrix's PR ratings.

>This in my mind throws out the question so what if it the chip is running
>at 1GHZ or 1.1GHZ? You are better off with a 1GHZ chip on a 200MHZ board
>(or running your 1.1GHZ chip at 1GHZ). This is simply because of the wait
>states involved. If you have a 200MHZ board with a 1GHZ chip and your
>66MHZ PCI bus. You have an even 1:3 ratio between the PCI and the board
>and an even ratio of 5:1 between the chip to the board. This translates
>into NO wasted time for parts of a clock cycle. Your chip is running 15x
>the PCI bus.

PCI bus in PC's run's at 33Mhz @ 32bit.  Some super-high end
Workstation/server boards have 66Mhz 64bit PCI.  The Intel chip @ 1133Mhz
runs an 8.5x multiplyer (8.5*133 = 1133) However, AMD's 1.1Ghz Athlon runs a
5.5x multiplyer (5.5*200 = 1100 (really an 11x multiplyer: 11*100 = 1100,
but effectively 5.5))  You are correct that this puts AMD's chip in a much
more favorable position.  PC's are generally not run asyncronously.  The
only exception is VIA's recent chipsets (and Intel's i815) which allow you
to run your SDRAM either 33Mhz hieher or lower than the system bus speed.
Tests have shown that running it 33Mhz faster doesn't make much of a
difference (on the order of 1 or 2%), and slower slows it down about 5%.

>If your running at 1.1ghz you have the 1:3 ratio between the PCI and the
>board, and a 5.5:1 ratio between the chip and the bus. If the buses can
>only exchange data when the cycles match, you are actually waiting for the
>chip to go around to the 11:2 ratio, the extra wait time involved actually
>slows your machine down unless you are performing 11 instructions on
>every piece of data.

Incorrect.  Deep buffers are used to hold information until the other bus is
ready, however, this is only used in a few chipsets as mentioned above.

>Or am I completely offbase?

Not completely, just slightly.  Put it this way, the engineers are about a
half step ahead of you ;)