OT, But interesting

Tim Schmidt computer_holic@hotmail.com
Sun, 06 Aug 2000 22:41:51 GMT

One thing I accidently left out from the last message:  FSB speeds for all
recent PC Processors

AMD K6 (2/III/2+): 66Mhz, 83Mhz, 100Mhz
AMD Athlon (Classic): 200Mhz (100Mhz DDR)
AMD Duron: 200Mhz (100Mhz DDR)
AMD Thunderbird: 200Mhz (100Mhz DDR), soon to be 266Mhz (133Mhz DDR)

Intel Celeron (Classic/Mendocino/II): 66Mhz, soon to be 100Mhz
Intel Pentium (II/III/Coppermine): 66Mhz, 100Mhz, 133Mhz, eventually 200Mhz
(100Mhz DDR)

I said in the last message that the Willamette will run a 400Mhz bus (100Mhz
x4) and that is indeed the stated information, however, this quad-pumping is
an as-of-yet un-proven technology and we'll see what happens.  I posted the
266Mhz for Thunderburd, 200Mhz for PIII because those are simply a revision
of an already proven technology (DDR).

As you can see, AMD has a significant advantage when it comes to FSB Speed,
however, until the Athlon, their cores were lackluster at best.  They were
always so close to equall'ing Intel's but were that one magig feature away.
The K6 series had a killer Integer unit, but lacked a pipelined FP unit, The
K5's sucked, and don't even talk to me about their 486's.  (AMD produced a
133Mhz "5x86 chip which was a really-fast 486.  It scored about equal to an
Intel 486-66Mhz DX2).