OT: Sun & Gnome = ?

Tim Schmidt computer_holic@hotmail.com
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 00:04:17 GMT

Lets broaden our thoughts here for a minute...  In essence, they're putting
preasure on everyone to release all (or at least most) software open source.
  It's a sort of 'downward spiral' in which company after company submits to
peer preasure (at the very least, there are also --many-- other seductive
advantages to going OSS.  I shouldn't have to mention them) and hops on the
bandwagon.  This lures/forces some more companies, and on and on.

The software industry is fundamentally changing before our eyes.  OSS
software developers are no longer ubergeeks, but also huge multi-nationals,
and penny-pinching startups.  This transition is filled with more than it's
share of buzz-words and hype (what part of the computer industry isn't?) but
Linux (and OSS) isn't a dirty word any more.

Corporations are simply going to have to be open in order to compete.  Even
if it's just to satisfy a checkbox on a spec sheet.

--Tim