news media

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 14:24:15 -0400 (EDT)

I don't know it was a slow Saturday and I felt motivated. I just wrote the
Editor in Chief of the State News and told him (?) that they blatantly misuse
their resources and don't cover the variety of news they should cover. I don't
know but I don't like the paper much. It just seems like air.

One of the things I pointed out is that they covered topics like Napster in
midsummer even though the topic which goes back to the roots of rights
of indiduals, creators and consumers, deserves a further look and it all
started in November already.

I then in the main part of the email (about 3 pages; you know I get
carried away always) I question much of the university regarding the
purpose and causes pushed when it comes to technology. I pointed out that
the university is always saying how it promotes diversity but if you look
at technology on campus its not diverse. I ask where the ideology of the
university lies.

I mentioned a few times that its part of the papers job to cover news
like free software development, Linux, open source software and the push
of the people in the last 18 months towards a new model of how we use
technology and develop it. I questioned why nobody at MSU, President, Board,
ASMSU takes a stand on these subjects and asked them to investigate on this as
I see it is their duty to inform the students of their choices and where their
tuition dollars are going.

Now why do I tell you all of this. I am sure in some form or another you feel
the same way. I don't see how the local media covers these and other subjects
enough and I would encourage others on this list to write an email, letter or
call them and mention that certain life subjects have been ignored and should
be investigated and reported upon.

I don't think anybody disagrees that many views by the people on this list
deserve to be suspected and looked into as educational tool.

So if you like go write ASMSU or the StateNews if you have thoughts on this.

Marcel Kunath

PS: Oh and just to calm everybody I did not make any detailed references
towards Linux or the GLLUG. I mentioned them but I kept focus mainly on: "Why
does the university not take stand on this subject?"