news media

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
19 Aug 2000 17:15:02 -0400

Accusing the University of not being diverse in their selection
of computers is ridiculous.  Yes, there are x86/Windows labs all
around campus, but:

	1. There are Mac labs.  I know of at least two (Union,
           Wells Hall) and there must be more; I don't frequent
           MSU labs any more than I must.

	2. In .egr.msu.edu there are many kinds of computers:
           Sun, HP, SGI, you name it.  In one small room in the
           23xx wing that I have access to there are HP, Sun, and
           x86 boxes side-by-side.

	3. I know for *damn* sure there's at least one lab of SGI
           boxen outside of .egr.msu.edu.

Moving from clients to servers:

	4. Pilot runs IBM AIX, if I recall correctly.

	5. Important servers, including the DNS servers (serv1,
           serv2) run FreeBSD.

	6. debian.egr.msu.edu is also one of the
           ftp.us.debian.org boxes.

	7. I personally run two permanent Debian GNU/Linux
           servers on campus (server.hedlab.he.msu.edu,
           cscw.msu.edu).

Besides, do you really think that lusers would be happy without
their Windows?  They get it shoved down their throats in ads.
They actually *believe* in this Windows stuff.