rant of the day

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
21 Aug 2000 20:21:39 -0400

Sean <picasso@madflower.com> writes:

> I can easily see 448 meg of ram in a printer for high resolution CMYK
> process printing and a large harddrive.

Really?  Lessee, with 32-bit color that's a square image 10836
pixels on a side, at 600 dpi that's an 18"x18" printout.  It
supports up to 18"x12" output (or something close to that), so
that's just barely on the edge of reality.  Hmm.

Anyway, bringing up facts to spoil a perfectly good rant is a
shooting offense, or should be.

> Don't they have a 133mhz risc processor in them too?

I'm pretty sure it's 200 MHz actually.

> On unix the HP is pretty easy to set up because you just need to set up
> the tcp/ip and your off to the races. You do want to make sure you have
> the correct colour profiles installed of course for colour correctness,
> and you need to match that up with the monitor.

Which one?  There's only 13 of them in the lab, supposedly
identical, and they've got visibly different color properties.

> I _thought_ the HP8550N had an external scsi port on it you
> could connect external drives for fonts and images, but I could
> be wrong, I know the old Apple ones do (oem'd from HP).

Is *that* what that funny-looking port on the Color LaserWriter
6/1200 is for?  Never would've guess.

> I think they also have a port for connecting directly to the
> printer via scsi.

Maybe yours does; mine doesn't.
--
"MONO - Monochrome Emulation
 This field is used to store your favorite bit."