news media

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
22 Aug 2000 20:06:42 -0400

Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net> writes:

> On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Dan Nguyen wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 12:11:29AM -0400, Marcel Kunath wrote:
> >> <huge snip>
> <huge snip>
>
> >And multiboot is a great option, and I hope that the microlabs
> >implement it, but it addes another layer of complexity.  And how would
> >you like to manage 1000 workstations which may all get cracked and be
> >used to preform DoS attacks.
>
> Same way you do windows.

You didn't say this explicitly, so I will: you would turn off all
network servers, because there is no need for a client-only
workstation that gets frequently rebooted to have any network
services on it.  And for that matter you might turn off the
ability of local users to "listen" to a socket; i.e., prevent
them from starting their own servers.  You could really local
down something like this *tight* without inconveniencing the
users very much at all.