DSL

Mark Szidik - MLC szidikm@mlc.lib.mi.us
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:21:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, David Hamilton wrote:

> How much?
$47 a month

> What area?
I am living near Mt. Hope and Cedar Street -
my CO is LNNMGMI (according to DSLreports.com)
Address: 221 N WASHINGTON SQ

> When will it be installed?
30 - 45 days  (gawd I hope its earlier than that)
The wait is all because of the bloated inefficient abomnimable
monopoly that is known as Ameritech.

> Who's providing it?
NorthPoint is the DSL provider of which you can choose to buy service
from a bunch of different ISP's.  I picked djiearth.com because they
were cheap and they were one of the first I called that actually knew
that DSL was avaiable in my CO in Lansing.  Also they answered the phone
and a sales-rep called me back the same day. Many ISP's that I called
said "Theres DSL in Lansing?" or they didn't return my calls at all.

> Did you have to pay for the modem?
$250 for the equipment but there is a $250 mail-in rebate from
NorthPoint, so it will end up zero.

I think there is a 12 month contract.  But the rep said that If I cancel
in less than 12 months then I can return the equipment for a credit.

> details please...
I believe they are snail-mailing me a contract & info packet.  I'll
update the list when I get it.

BTW: he gave me the name of a a guy in East Lansing that has ordered it
- Pasquale something.  They have customers in Grand Rapids.  He has
asked them if I can contact them regarding their service.

-Mark