drilling a hole through a Pentium chip

Paul Melson melson@scnc.holt.k12.mi.us
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 06:39:07 -0400

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 06:09:33PM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> I've had this busted Pentium/75 chip sitting around for a few
> years, and I've finally figured out what I want to do with it:
> make a unique keychain piece.  So: drill a hole through it.
>
> Any suggestions?  And WTF kind of superhard ceramic does Intel
> package these chips inside that a hardened steel bit won't even
> bite into?

	I can't believe this is about to come in handy,
	but...

	I have done exactly what you're proposing, although
	with an i387 math coprocessor.  You will need to
	visit your local hardware store and purchase a
	diamond-tipped masonry bit.  Use it at relatively
	low RPMs with steady pressure - a drill press is
	best.  Also, having a spray bottle with water to
	keep the surface and the bit wet will help prevent
	the insulation from splitting.  Good luck!

PaulM

--
							melson@holt.k12.mi.us