authenticated user community

Paul Melson melson@scnc.holt.k12.mi.us
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 18:09:23 -0400

On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 03:46:39PM -0400, Mike Rambo wrote:
> We have Hawkeye and had started to set it up after seeing it at Holt but
> have basically put it on the back burner as we've found that the higher
> powers are not interested in investigating non-NT solutions.  As I
> recall we were stuck at getting Hawkeye to see MySQL but I don't recall
> for sure.  I do expect to one day get back to it just for the experience
> if nothing else - though I do hope that one day folks will become a
> little more receptive to non-NT solutions (though that might take
> awhile).  I've not seen this particular system before - looks
> interesting though.

	That seems like a real shame, especially since
	you don't need anything special to run it.  Ours
	is still running on an AMD K6/166 w/ 32MB of RAM,
	and I would be amazed if the load has ever broken
	0.10 even w/ the JavaScript chat rooms in use.
	You could easily throw it on a somewhat sup-ed up
	486 system, giving you newsgroups, FTP, chat, web
	space, and e-mail for nothing but the time spent
	on it.

	On the other hand Linux is very intimidating to
	those who don't use it because they see long-term
	support as tenuous, whereas you can't swing a
	dead penguin without smacking an MCSE or two.

PaulM

--
							melson@holt.k12.mi.us