[OT] DeCSS & DECS

Dpk dpk@egr.msu.edu
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:12:35 -0400

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 08:14:03PM -0400, Seth D Mosier wrote:

   [snip]
   So, what's DECS' stance on this? If someone is found to be linking to a
   DeCSS site, either intentionally or inadvertantly will they shut you down
   and submit your name & address for prosecution? The point has also been
   raised that you could rename the source DeCSS to something else to make
   prosecution tougher [3].

   How far are the admins willing to go to help the users out? I understand
   that they don't want to be on the receiving end of prosecution, but there
   comes a point where someone needs to stop the insanity.

I have to be brief do to my load associated with the beginning of the
semester.  The MSU University policy and Engineering's policy
coincide, in that we do not play an active role in monitoring or
screening user web pages.  Personal web pages are considered free
speech, so we disregard "opinion" we receive regarding someone's
personal web pages.  However, we will remove web priviledges in the
case of legal matters - copyright infringement, court order, etc.

dpk