New Member

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
06 Dec 2000 19:22:41 -0500

Harold Hunt <Harold@compasstechnologies.com> writes:

> I attend MSU, majoring in Computational Math; actually, I've taken a year
> off for programming, but I'm returning to campus in January.

Cool.  Computational mathematics and computer science must be a
powerful combination.  I've taken a few math courses myself,
culminating in MTH 844 last spring, but math is really just a
hobby for me.

> I currently work on the Cygwin/XFree86 project, a port of XFree86 to Cygwin
> on Windows.  Currently the project runs on Windows NT using the X server
> sample implementation's framebuffer code... I am working on implementing the
> graphics functions as direct calls to Windows GDI and DirectDraw functions
> to enable faster graphics performance and support for Windows 9X.  Currently
> I'm about 10% of the way to completion.  For more information, see
> http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/.

I bet it's a real challenge mapping some of the X functions onto
efficient Win32 API calls.  It's been years since I did any
Windows GUI programming, but ISTR that the X primitives and the
Windows primitives are rather at odds in places.