TurboLinux Distro

Dpk dpk@egr.msu.edu
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:47:45 -0500

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 04:22:50AM -0500, Sean wrote:

   Hey don't knock Solaris. =) I actaully like the sun 5c keybaord
   better than a lot of pc keyboards, although it takes a while to get
   used to.  But the hardware knocks the crap out of the dimestore
   stuff (all x86).

It's probably all personal taste, because I like my Sun "Type 6"
keyboard on my Ultra 10.  I can type a lot faster using it (the kys
are not so big and high like the PCs) and the location of "ESC", "~",
and the "Control" keys makes programing a lot easier.

Sun is migrating to USB keyboards and mice so you can replace them
if you own it (not a lab system!)

The sluggishness you observe is most likely due to the central account
database used by the systems (NIS @ CSE or NIS+ @ EGR) and most file
systems are NFS mounted.  I think you would find the same delays in a
Linux system setup this way.

Not to praise Sun or Solaris since they do have their downfalls, but
hopefully this sheds some light on the subject.

Dennis