networking 101 and then some...

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 12:56:35 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Don Chorman wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have been playing with my machine for a few hours today. I had a bit
> of a problem with the GUI, and my machine crashed everytime I booted to
> the GUI login. I messed with Xconfigurator, and such. I had no luck, so
> I reinstalled. I hate doing that. I know there should be a way to fix
> it without reinstalling.

My _guess_ would be that you are not running the correct monitor refresh
rate or resolution for your video card. You can cycle through different
resolutions by hitting ctrl-alt-+ (plus sign on your number pad).
You can also try to tune it with xvidtune which should be installed on
your machine.  I usually set it at 640x480 with 8-bit colours and run
xvidtune to get it right.

It might help if we knew what video card you had.

> As for the network, I am a bit mystified. I printed a few how-to's, and
> they are pretty vague. Perhaps the group could hold my hand a little.
> Here is my setup (again..I know sorry):
>
> Linux machine: 2 ethernet cards: 1 connected to modem, 1 connected to
> win98box  winbox: 1 ethernet card: still configured for modem.
>
> I wrote down the tcp/ip settings for the win98box, so I can revert back,
> just in case. Last night, I ran some rj45 from eth0 (linux machine) to
> my cable modem. I played with some settings (host/domain, IP, gateway,
> DNS)and I can access the internet. I have not been able to send email
> since the re-install. I think I have to set some rules or something,
> because I could send email before the re-install. I checked the mail
> server name, and it appears ok.

are you using a mail client like pine to access your mail account? or are
you trying to use sendmail or whatever server on your system to send/use
email?

> Can I leave eth0 alone, since it connects to the modem ok? How should I set
> up eth1, and my win98 eth?

leave eth0 alone. You need to connect from eth1 -> windows machine via
either a hub or a crossover ethernet cable.

goto http://www.pmfirewall.com/PMFirewall/#download
get pmfirewall-1.1.4.tar.gz
from the command line type 'tar -zxvf pmfirewall-1.1.4.tar.gz'
'cd pmfirewall-1.1.4'
read the INSTALL file and follow those directions.