2 questions: printing and security

Dam_Edged Don'tBother@home.com
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 21:27:17 -0500

Hello All,
       My first question is about printing from my linux machine.
I have 2 computers networked, one runs win98 and the other
runs Mandrake 7.2. My printer is attached to the windows machine.
Is there a way I can print from my linux machine? If there is, could
you point me to a How-To?
    My second question is about the security of my linux machine.
I am using it as a gateway machine. I did install pmfirewall. I was
going
through a log file the other day, and I noticed some DENY entries.
What logs do you folks look at  to see what was/is happening on
your machine? I saw a program called portsentry. Have any of
you heard of portsentry? When I run my linux machine, I don't log in
as a root user. ( I am told not to log in as root, unless I need to make

changes.) Are there any particular permissions that I should
be cautious of?

Thanks,
Don