DNS/Apache Oddities and Word Perfect

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
28 Dec 2000 20:15:50 -0500

Mike Szumlinski <szumlins@msu.edu> writes:

> > Try running `strace' on alien to see where it is hanging.
>
> [root@christina szumlins]# ps -C alien
>   PID TTY          TIME CMD
>  1166 pts/1    00:00:00 alien
> [root@christina szumlins]# strace -p 1166
> read(3,
>
> Thats all I get...maybe I'm doing something wrong, but that doesn't mean
> anything to me.

You could see what files it has open.  It must be blocked on
reading a file.

But what I really meant was to kill the running alien and restart
it running under strace.  That way you'd be able to see what it
was doing before it hung, which might give a hint as to what's
wrong.

`strace -o foo alien ...' then look at foo, in other words.
--
"You know, they probably have special dorms for people like us."
--American Pie