2 questions printing and security

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
29 Dec 2000 17:09:09 -0500

Don Chorman <chormand@pilot.msu.edu> writes:

> If I am running this machine as a gateway, is it unsecure to
> run samba?  I'm not too clear on how to print to my windows
> printer, but I think that I have to have samba running to do
> so.

You shouldn't need to run a samba server to access other
machines, just to let other machines access the machine running
samba.  You should only need to run an smb client program, which
isn't really a security risk when used in a sensible manner.

> The DENY entries I see in the system log viewer look like this.
> packet log input DENY eth0 proto=6 64.7.168.60:47646
> 24.183.xxx.xxx(my IP):868 L=40 S=0X00 I=35569 F=0X0000 T=39 SYN (#33)

I dunno, none of the information up there rings a bell for me.
Sorry.  Probably harmless unless you're getting them all the
time.

> also, what does this line mean?
> CROND[1188]     (root) CMD ( usr/share/mesc/promisc_cheack.sh  )

It means that there's a cronjob whose script, probably running
from /usr/share/mesc/promisc_cheack.sh, is not properly
terminating.  Check that script and see what it does.  If it's
unimportant you could just turn it off in /etc/crontab or
/etc/cron.d or with `crontab -e'.  If it's important then you
should debug it instead.
--
"The sound of peacocks being shredded can't possibly be
 any worse than the sound of peacocks not being shredded."