Salvage success story

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
02 Jul 2000 22:59:46 -0400

So it had been a while since I'd gone to MSU Salvage (now called
the MSU Surplus Store), partly because I hadn't had great success
there in the recent past and partly because I hadn't been looking
for equipment where "used" was acceptable, or even looking for
much equipment at all.

But on Friday I went out there and in less than 10 minutes I
walked out with two things I really needed, which I was prepared
to go pay about $115 for in a regular store, for only $2:

	* A big fan for the front of my case.  I broke the old
          one.  These fans are expensive when bought by
          themselves, about $10-$15 at Radio Shack, and I
          probably wouldn't have been able to find an exact match
          anyway.  But I bought a $1 dead power supply with an
          exactly matching fan, and it went into my machine just
          right.

	* A 3Com PCI NIC, $1.  This turned out to be not exactly
          what I was looking for, but a friend of mine needs a
          NIC anyhow, and this is just perfect for him.

Anyway, just wanted to point out how well it can turn out when
you go there.  Kudos also to the guy from the group who works
there, who was very helpful at finding me what I was looking
for.  I'm terribly ashamed to admit that I don't remember his
name (it's not on the MSU Surplus Store webpage or I'd be able to
figure it out).