dhcp and nameservers

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:31:12 -0400 (EDT)

> > <solution>
> > just setup your own name servers or use something like the public dns
> > http://soa.granitecanyon.com and have it point to your IP
> > address. Your name
> > will resolve soon enough, even through your ISP's name servers!
> > </solution>
>
> Are you sure about the name resolving through his isp's nameservers?  I
> believe if the isp has zone files for those ip's then anyone using those
> nameservers will get the isp's info, not the public dns info.

So, basically anybody using that ISP's nameserver won't reach my domain but all
others will.

Maybe my question wasn't clear enough. I got a machine with a name. I set up a
nameserver as granitecanyon.com up to resolve that name to my IP. This though
leaves my machine unaffected of what nameserver to use when resolving names
itself??? Therefore I shouldn't have changed anything to how my machine was set
up.