Gimp Q

Paul Melson melson@scnc.holt.k12.mi.us
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 07:52:59 -0400

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 12:40:03AM -0400, Alan Garrison wrote:
> I've been doing screen captures of particular windows
> in Xfree from the Tk apps I've been writing for my
> tutorial (which I'm still working on, whoops! :) and
> the screencaps are coming out grainy.  I usually run
> X in 32-bit mode, so I dropped down to 8-bit mode.  They
> are still grainy without any modification in Gimp (which
> is what I'm using for the captures).  I can clean them up
> a little using posterize, but I am wondering is there
> something I can set to make the captured image as clear
> as the actual window?  I'm still on XFree 3.3.5/6 (not
> 4.0), and it does it on two of my machines.

	I'm not positive, but I have a couple of ideas.
	First, try saving the files initially as .xpm's.
	That's how the image is read by the X server,
	so at least in theory it's a straight conversion.
	Another thing to try would be to use an alternate
	method of creating your screenshots.  Try using
	xwd or ksnapshot and see if image quality improves.

PaulM

--
							melson@holt.k12.mi.us