surprisingly successful restore from backup

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
12 Jul 2000 09:36:37 -0400

Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net> writes:

> >(And would you >really restore from backup in multiuser mode?!
> I sure didn't.)
>
> Maybe if I had a server which had multiple volumes mounted which ran
> services people didnt want disrupted, and someone wanted a volume restored
> I guess.  It all depends :)

Yeah, I guess that's reasonable.  This particular volume has
/home, /mirror[1], /root, /nfsroot[2], /tmp, /usr, and /var on
it, though, so single-user mode was the only real choice for me.

[1] Where I store alpha.gnu.org, ftp.gnu.org, and other sites I
mirror.

[2] Where I store NFS root stuff for diskless boxes I
occasionally boot.