playing mp3's w/netscape

Paul Melson melson@scnc.holt.k12.mi.us
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 13:51:10 -0400

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 12:56:54PM -0400, Mike Rambo wrote:
> I have xmms on my system but can't get netscape to
> launch it to play an mp3 from mp3.com.
>
> I've followed various instructions to no avail thus far.
>
> Most recently I found these in xmms.org tech forum.
>
> audio/x-scpls  /usr/bin/xmms %s   .m3u file type
> (also tried - audio/x-scpls  /usr/bin/xmms 'cat %s')
>
> Anyone know how to get this to work?

	I'm using Netscape 4.73 and mpg123, but it works
	great.  I think your problem may be the MIME type
	you're using.  I have it configured for audio/mpeg,
	audio/x-mpeg, and audio/mpegurl.

> Is there a better way than xmms?  Seems like I've
> seen raplayer out there but since I can get rvplayer
> to work for video's I haven't tried it.  Plus the
> stuff from Real was never very impressive on the
> windows platform anyway.

	I've been extremely disappointed in Real's support
	for Linux.  I don't even know that the latest
	RealPlayer for Linux has mp3 support, but I also
	haven't bothered to look in awhile.

PaulM

--
							melson@holt.k12.mi.us