Sean, something for your LUG. (fwd)

Alan Garrison agarris@voyager.net
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 22:30:17 -0400

Sean wrote:

> I dont know if our club would be interested in this or not. Because of our
> no-commercial policy, but I thought I would pass it on. *shrugs*

This sounds like a nice idea, but I have a few thoughts:

1.  We haven't really defined what a GLLUG "member" is, so
anyone who merely lurks on the list but never attends meetings
(or even posts on the list) may decide that they are "members"
and demand the discount.

2.  If we somehow acquire a "free" unit, we should donate it
to a reasonable cause/group.  GLLUG itself really doesn't
need a freebie tape drive, and just giving it to a member
really isn't fair to the others.

3.  I would hope that there are no strings attached if anyone
does do this thru GLLUG.  I wouldn't want to see their
advertising say something like "Endorsed by Lansing's LUG!"
or something similar.

It's great that they want to do this, I'm just a little
skeptical about this.  Just checked:  Their web site
runs NT...  Hmmmm...

Personally, I'm satisfied with my Sony DDS unit, so I'm
not in the market to throw $400 for another tape drive.
Perhaps we should find out who on the list is interested
in this offer.  If so, please speak up on the mailing
list.

--
Alan Garrison  ___ agarris@voyager.net
"MD5:  An encryption method used on the Internet."