Sean, something for your LUG. (fwd)

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:15:24 -0400 (EDT)

> >Is it really practical to move a domain from one registrar to
> >another?  I keep hearing horror stories ("NSI gave my domain
> >away!" "NSI sold my domain to the highest bidder!"), but I
> >suppose these could be incompetence rather than malice.

I think it sounds practial to pay 150 dollars for ten years as opposed to 70
dollars for every two years. I judge from a clear economical point of view and
as well the fact that everybody complains about NSI as you said yourself.

> > Also speaking as a domain owner for personal uses, I'd just let my domain
> expire and then register it elsewhere besides network solutions.  Network
> solutions worked for me but their plain email security is very poor and
> I've heard of them fudging up change requests in the more complex security
> methods.  Just give me a registrar that allows me to ssh in and change the
> record myself :)

Well this was widely mentioned before on /. If you let your domain expire with
NSI it will not be put into the pbulic market again. It will be auctioned off.
Therefore you would be wiser to transfer it instead of letting it run out.

I don't know any of the registrars practices that well. 150 bucks though to me
sounds convincing.

mk