Laptop Linux

Paul Melson melson@scnc.holt.k12.mi.us
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 13:44:57 -0400

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 01:09:25PM -0400, Jeffrey A Utter wrote:
> Wow, I finally have a reason to post something. :)
>
> I have a WinBook Si 533/64 that I think I want to make a LinBook.
> My ?'s are,
>
> 1. Is there a linux distro that has a reconrd of working really well on
> Laptops?

	I have RedHat 6 on my Winboox X2, and it runs
	beautifully.  It installed smoothly, recognized
	my Megahertz PC/NIC and my IR port.  The only
	thing about it is that xf86config didn't have
	information for the video card, so it would
	only run 640x480x8bpp with the default install.
	I've since put together an XF86Config file
	that supports 1024x768x16bpp, though, and you're
	welcome to it if you'd like a copy of it.

> 2. If anyone here has one up and running, which? and why did you pick
> that one?

	At the time, RedHat and Caldera were the only
	distros w/ cardservices and I didn't want to
	put the thing together piecemeal.  It works
	so well that I use it in conjunction with Sun
	StarOffice any time I give a presentation.
	I feel it boosts my credibility when spreading
	Linux gospel if I'm not using Windows and
	PowerPoint to give the presentation. :)

PaulM

--
							melson@holt.k12.mi.us