mysql question

Paul Melson melson@scnc.holt.k12.mi.us
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 07:26:10 -0400

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 06:05:21AM -0400, Adam wrote:
> When mysqld is running does it make sure it keeps the database files in an
> uncorrupted state, or are there times when if you make a copy of it with
> mysqld running you would get a damaged copy because you didnt stop
> it?  Basically I'd like to know if I can just tar the db files whenever I
> want without affecting the database operation, or if I need to "pause" it
> somehow to be 100% safe? Thanks.

	If there are records locked and/or open in your
	database when you try to `cp` it, then you will
	get errors and possibly corrupt the database.
	I can only imagine that this applies to `tar`
	as well.  If you're looking to automate a backup
	process, simply add the following lines to your
	backup script:

# prior to `tar`
/usr/local/mysql/scripts/mysql.server stop

# after `tar`
/usr/local/mysql/scripts/mysql.server start

PaulM

--
							melson@holt.k12.mi.us