[broken record] Still no topic for next GLLUG meeting...

Adam bsdx@looksharp.net
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:05:10 -0400 (EDT)

I've kinda been wondering ever since the installfest what a *smooth*
installation of linux looks like =P  Most of them did go ok finally but it
seemed like some people took half a day to get going.  If someone had a
friendly machine perhaps they could bring it in and demonstrate an
"ideal" installation session of their favorite distro?  Something with X
and a goody or two but not as in depth as installing all 6 SuSE cd's
heheh.  It would provide a easy to watch tour of the installation of
various os's with someone experienced enough to do a working install
within the time of a meeting and it would provide time to have the others
watch and decide what they like and dont like about the installer (and how
it compares to what they are used to) instead of thinking "gee, this guys
video card sure doesnt like X, or why cant this guy
login?" etc.  Sometimes a good or bad install is enough to get someone to
change distributions (or decide what not to change to)  I'd even be
willing to do something Uhm, non-linux (since thats where my experience
is) if someone is interested after the schoolyear starts.  I kinda miss
being around East Lansing, having peers to hang around with.  Heck I dont
even have non peers I'd hang around with at home, I could have slept all
summer so far and not missed a thing ;) (I'd get *really* behind on email
though.) Oh and I miss the second hand smoke in the dorms, CLASSES, the
second hand rap music, classes, the lack of a/c, did I mention
lectures? er.. I take those 6 back.