[broken record] Still no topic for next GLLUG meeting...

Adam bsdx@looksharp.net
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:46:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Edward Glowacki wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Adam wrote:
>> Just wanted to note 4.0 would be fine for demo install purposes but for
>> keeper installs, 4.1 is almost out the door and will fix a few local and
>> one remote DoS.  4.1 will also support Intel's Wired for Management 2.0
>> (PXE) network booting(I can scrounge up a howto someone made if anyone is
>> interested(ben?)), openssh 2.1.0 in the base OS, including ssh1 & 2
>> support, USB device support from the installation floppies and a generic
>> kernel, the bootstrap updated to banish the 1024 cylindar booting limit,
>> tcsh replaced csh, more replaced by less,  and color support added to the
>> ls command by popular demand =P
>>
>> Also something nifty they are working on is ext2fs support in the
>> bootloader and boot chain.  I personally expect 5.0 (and maybe
>> 4.something) to offer installation to existing free space on an ext2fs
>> partition.  The whole thing would be booted by booting a special
>> bootloader file instead of the linux kernel via LILO and running off the
>> os files that FreeBSD installed while giving access and emulation to all
>> the linux files and binaries.
>
>I haven't been keeping track of FreeBSD development, still running 3.4-RELEASE here at work.  It sounds like cool stuff coming though! =)  Are you going to be at the next meeting Adam?  And would you be interested in doing the FreeBSD install?  =)  For whatever reason, I'm not really excited about doing a FreeBSD install this weekend. =(

whoa thats a long line you typed
yea i sure am interested but I'd have to drive 1.5 hours just to get there
and I have a family member to take care of who just came out of the
hospital today (appendectomy), maybe in a few weeks after school is back
in session (homework? whats that! homework doesnt exist until daylight of
an exam day!)

I was wondering, does anyone have a video camera and the means to encode a
video to mpeg?  I bet some of us geeks who cant attend meeting would
really appreciate being able to download a digital recording ;)  I suppose
someone with a camera and a tv card and a computer could probably handle
the encoding if you work up a mpeg encoder (there are some out there
apparently free)  I could also scrounge up windows software to do it but
that would be kinda odd for a LUG :)