bootp

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:48:52 -0400

Ben Pfaff wrote:

> Ah, I see.  Your comment led me to believe that they didn't
> respond to TCP/IP, just to some JetDirect-centric protocol.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't clear.  Jetdirect does utilize TCP/IP (or IPX for
that matter) for communication but we have not been able to just go to a
computer and attach a network printer using the normal (for windows
anyway) mechanisms for adding a network printer.  We have always had to
run the jetdirect software to create a jetdirect port (as opposed to the
usual local or network connection) and then attach the network printer
to the jetdirect port.  Creating this port requires the jetdirect
software AFAIK.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding
was that the jetdirect software not only creates the port but also
supplies the functionality normally provided by the printer driver.  It
appears to me very proprietary.  That's what I meant when I said I
wasn't aware it would work apart from the jetdirect.  Hmm, ...I need to
get hold of a manual...

--
Mike Rambo
Lansing School District