Suggested Topic

Alan Garrison agarris@voyager.net
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:04:15 -0400

Ben Pfaff wrote:

> A few bits of advice, as a programmer, to others interested in
> becoming better programmers:

My addendums (also being a programmer, but probably a much
suckier one than Ben):

*  Avoid all languages that start with "Visual".
*  Avoid submitting your learning of a language to the whims
of a huge, bloated, GUI IDE.
*  Find fun things to do with a language (along with useful).
If not, you may become quickly bored with it (and possibly
programming in general).

Ben suggested Knuth:  Read Knuth but only if you have a
pretty solid math background.  I picked up his first book
a while ago, and my brain is still sore from trying some of
the material (Holy fsck I have forgotten a lot of math
since school!!!  I'm getting old...)

--
Alan Garrison  ___ agarris@voyager.net
"MD5:  An encryption method used on the Internet."