Browsers

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:27:59 -0400

Paul Melson wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 01:49:11PM -0400, Mike Rambo wrote:
> > Just tried this one.   Easy to install.  Came up and seemed to work ok
> > but doesn't allow use of the backspace or delete keys when typing a
> > url.  This may be because I used IBM's jre118 (already on my system)
> > instead of the recommended jre117v3 from blackdown.org.  It also seemed
> > to lag just a tad compared with Netscape 4.73 on my Mandrake 7.1 desktop
> > although it was nearly as fast.  Fonts were quite different although
> > they can be configured - didn't try it though.  I guess overall it
> > wasn't as slick in appearance and no faster.  Not sure about stability.
> > Didn't use it long enough.  Probably worth keeping an eye on if
> > development continues though.
>
>         How does the memory footprint compare to
>         that of Communicator (sasquatch)?
>
> PaulM

Disappointing :-(.  Netscape 4.73 appears to want 23-24 Meg to open a
single window from a fresh boot.  Skate wants 26+ Meg for a single
window.  The method I used to come up with these figures is to fresh
boot, do the free command, launch the browser, and then do the free
command again.  Is there a better way to figure out how much memory any
given app is using?

--
Mike Rambo
Lansing School District