Browsers

Rocky Lichen RockyLichen@excite.com
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 06:14:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:55:55 -0400 (EDT), Sean wrote:

>  If there another browser available besides netscape that is robust and
>  supports java, that I can compile?

I find Staroffice to be at least as robust as Netscape 4.72, and it supports
java.  It is a resource hog (VSZ >80M), but I find that, once it is loaded,
performance is comparable to Netscape.  Reports are that it will be GPL'ed,
but I don't think you can compile it yet.

I am confident Opera for Linux will be robust and support java.  It should
also go easy on resources.  But there's no release date yet, and not only
will you not be able to compile it, you will (gasp!) be expected to pay
money for it.  For more info see
http://www.operasoft.com/linux/index.html

The Konqueror browser that will be part of KDE 2.0 (projected final release
in seven weeks)comes closest to your criteria, AFAIK, but this means
choosing KDE, not just a browser.  It is supposed to support HTML 4.0, CSS,
SSL, java, Netscape plug-ins, etc. For more info and links to current
source, see
http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-1.91.html

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html