Corel Linux Questions...

basher584 basher584@usol.com
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 01:13:00 -0400

--------------57505E79C3EF1A22CF454A4D

I haven't used Corel's Linux distribution so I don't if there is any easy
menu/GUI thing to do it, but I always just 'insmod' the  module when I am
starting out.. and the rest of the sound modules will get loaded along with
the driver.. [1]

Attached is the kernel documentation ESS1868 which shows which insmod
commands should load up the driver.. (look at the lines after "ESS1868F
AudioDrive initialization")  You  may have to adjust the io/dma numbers to
fit your card though.

Once you get it working manually[2] this way you will have to write a script
to load it up on startup, or figure how Corel Linux loads that stuff.  For
Redhat you can just put your module information in /etc/conf.modules - this
may work for Corel Linux too.  If you get this far and can't figure that part
out just e-mail again...

also wanted to mention that.. www.linuxhardware.com points to this
documentation... <linux source dir> / Documentation/sound/ESS1868

As for the CD-Burning software.. I use gcombust --
http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/02/17/919293341.html -- which is a nice
GUI to cdrecord and mkisofs.. and others..

There are many others.. check www.freshmeat.net

Also just a note.. if you have an IDE burner, the last I heard is that some
of them need SCSI/IDE emulation  turned on which means recompilation of the
kernel on a lot of distributions.  If you can't get cdrecord to work you may
want to check into it..

Good luck..

[1]   this is assuming Corel built everything as modules for the kernel..
which I can't imagine why they wouldn't have.. check "/lib/modules/<kernel
version>/misc/" for the "sb.o" file.    If it isn't there then you will need
to get it..  I would just download the latest kernel and compile everything
myself.. but other people like to download pre-built packages for there
machines.. what ever is good for you.  (kernel is at www.kernel.org, I am not
sure about Corels' .deb packages/ or generic .deb packages.. but 'apt-get'
may help you here too.)

[2] To test it, use a multimedia app. to play a wav file....  'xmms' is a
good one..

Basher584

Ben Pfaff wrote:

> [CC'd to linux-user list so that any mistakes I make will be
> corrected.]
>
> Michael Iott <medicinecrow@arq.net> writes:
>
> > How do I install my ESS 1868 Sound Card?
>
> I'm not absolutely certain of this but a quick grep of the kernel
> source reveals that ESS 1868 should be 100% Sound Blaster
> compatible.  So just use the Sound Blaster driver.
>
> If you need more help than that, I hope someone else can give you
> pointers.  I don't have a sound card in my computer at the moment
> and frankly it's been a long time since I configured one under
> Linux.
>
> > Is there software available so I can use my CD burner in Linux?
>
> Yes.  You want cdrecord.  That's the name of the Debian package
> for it, too.  If your system is set up correctly then you can
> install cdrecord just by typing
>         apt-get install cdrecord
> at a root shell prompt.
>
> > I cannot seem to get RPM to install and therefore cannot open RPM files.
>
> Debian doesn't use .rpm's.  It uses .deb's, which is a competing
> format whose powerful capabilities pre-date the now-similar .rpm
> features.  (Otherwise we'd probably be using .rpm's too.)
>
> If you *really* want to install .rpm's, you can use `alien',
> which converts .rpm's and Slackware .tgz's to Debian .deb's.  But
> this is a last resort, to be used only if you can't find the
> software in .deb format.  Most software is available as .deb's.
>
> > Mitakuye Oyasin!
>
> Sorry, my Japanese parser chokes on that.  For one thing, `ye' is
> not a Japanese syllable.  So I'm assuming it's not Japanese.
> What does it mean?
> --
> "To prepare for the writing of Software,
>  the writer must first become one with it,
>  sometimes two."
> --W. C. Carlson

--------------57505E79C3EF1A22CF454A4D

Documentation for the ESS1868F AudioDrive PnP sound card

The ESS1868 sound card is a PnP ESS1688-compatible 16-bit sound card.

Notes about configuring the sound card:

  *  The ESS1868 does not allow use of a 16-bit DMA, thus DMA 0, 1, 2, and 3
     may only be used.

  *  isapnptools version 1.14 does work with ESS1868.  Earlier versions might
     not.

  *  Sound support MUST be compiled as MODULES, not statically linked
     into the kernel.

For configuring the sound card's I/O addresses, IRQ and DMA, here is a
sample copy of the isapnp.conf directives regarding the ESS1868:

(CONFIGURE ESS1868/-1 (LD 1
(IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
(IO 1 (BASE 0x0388))
(IO 2 (BASE 0x0330))
(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
(INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
(ACT Y)
))

(for a full working isapnp.conf file, remember the
(ISOLATE)
(IDENTIFY *)
at the beginning and the
(WAITFORKEY)
at the end.)

In this setup, the main card I/O is 0x0220, FM synthesizer is 0x0388, and
the MPU-401 MIDI port is located at 0x0330.  IRQ is IRQ 5, DMA is channel 1.

After configuring the sound card via isapnp, to use the card you must load
the sound modules with the proper I/O information.  Here is my setup:

# ESS1868F AudioDrive initialization

/sbin/modprobe sound
/sbin/insmod uart401
/sbin/insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=-1
/sbin/insmod mpu401 io=0x330
/sbin/insmod opl3 io=0x388
/sbin/insmod v_midi

opl3 is the FM synthesizer--I have not tried the SoftOSS wavetable
synthesizer yet, but I assume it would work as well.  Also, doing:
/sbin/insmod opl3
/sbin/insmod adlib_card io=0x388
works, but I believe the sound quality is a bit distorted when playing MIDI
files.

When using the above setup, my /proc/sound gives the following:

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux scitus.dyn.ml.org 2.1.104 #1 SMP Sun May 24 11:04:27 EDT 1998 i486
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices: