sheesh...

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 17:24:35 -0400 (EDT)

> Marcel Kunath wrote:
> >
> > I don't even think the guy was meant that much as a joke. I simply feel it h
ad
> > artistic value. Putting a guy naked at a piano in a field of <godknowswhat>
and
> > he smiles.....
>
> The "naked man playing organ" is a Monty Python reference.  They would
> occasionally open their show with a handful of silly clips, usually
> including
> a nude man (Terry Jones I think) playing the organ for a few seconds.

Yeah I never understood the Python craze(the Monty one). But with that in mind
its even less ludicrious to mistaken this as attempt to get you fired and if
you were then it was probably the wrong place to work in anyhow.

I give all credit to the guy who came up with the smart illustrious idea and
the person in charge who gave its approval for creating a layout with content
in itself. I think it was 100% Linux just for being a bit different again.

I have to admit though. When my boss handed me the plastic container and the
skin was showing my eyes popped out my my mind went. "Hmmm I wonder if that
made my boss any more open to Linux." But then my second thought was, "hell who
cares. there is plenty of opportunities to take advantage of Linux and those
will convince enough people to join us. we don't need every single person to
run Linux."

Which brings me back to something happening right now. I was trying to get my
friend in Sydney to get in touch bit more with Linux. Make her do installs and
really play with it in depth, the admin side of it. It's not easy for her. I
can't really help from here much. I always notice how starters are 'stubborn'
in using Linux the Windows way. I asked my friend to learn vi at first. She
didn't think such "archaic" editor is any good. I say you will love it once
you see its power. Then my friend does an install and of course she gets the
bash screen. My friend asked why I couldn't telnet into the
machine to help her set up xf86. I said she have to change the settings in
/etc/inetd.conf She asked me how to do that and I say use vi. Of course she
couldn't do that. Then it became apparent why vi use is so important.
You can barely get anything done. Eventally I turned stubborn and said I won't
be able to help you anymore unless you learn vi.

Linux is different from Windows and it is good that way. vi may seem old but
you can get any job done with it and administration is just best via vi. I just
got reminded of this when Mark asked why people don't usually attend meetings
for longer.

For one I think they do not immediately notice the positives of such simple
seeming things as vi. They don't realize yet that this simplicity of a work
effort drives most people eventually to use Linux anywhere anytime. I think it
takes time to realize that. I remember when I tried Linux first I dropped it
within the first two days of playing with it. I was overwhelmed by the black
screen, the inability of setting up the video card and having not done any
administration in the past. I guess it takes time to have the patience to learn
all these important things.

On the other hand I doubt that is the only reasons people dont attend meetings
regularly. Time is very scarce these days. Furthermore there are the users who
like to know more about their system and adventure but then do not have the
developer skills. I would consider msyelf in that area. I see years of Linux
usage ahead of me but I don't ever see myself cranking out some hot code to put
on sourceforge. I love the medium, the smart people, the topics. I like the
reliability, the help from people you get, the ability to run Linux and with
that your own little Intranet-World with home made servers. It also adds to the
skills you have personally which definitely don't hurt on your job search.

There are lots of good things about Linux and the GLLUG. But then again there
are many reasons people are 'scarce' at meetings and this does NOT mean there is
something wrong with the GLLUG in itself. What is scarce anyway? How many
people do you personally expect to attend each bi-week? What would be normal
for our area? I think it's more important the GLLUG has open minded people
which are able to communicate well and then put together a eventful meeting
every once in a while to have a kick ass time together, may it be information
exchange or just happy Linux- or even community-bonding.

I have given up here at work in convincing anybody that Linux is better. Maybe
I approached it wrong. Maybe it wasn't meant to be. One guy silently updated
his machine to redhat and is doing stuff at home. So I guess I made a small
in-road of interest but I couldn't convince anybody to join a meeting or so.

Oh well I guess what matters is I am convinced of it and if anybody shows
interest in what I run I tell them and show them why. I mean now SCO is running
after Linux. I think the time we had to search for people to try Linux is over.
It's maybe time to make a strong statement by simply concentrating on what
Linux people do best. Cranking out a great OS and showing it off, naked if
they have to =)

mk

PS: I read today Roseanne is going to pose nude in Playboy and she said she has
"never been as hot...". Roseanne lost some lbs