smb

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 00:01:56 -0400 (EDT)

Having little problem.

I created a samba file. All I intend to try is share a drive from server to win
client without having the windows user provide a password to samba.

I created a guest user on windows box. I created the following samba file but
it always asks for a password. I thought 'nobody' was supposed to take care of
that???

[global]
   workgroup = scarfy
   guest account = nobody
   encrypt passwords = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
   smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
   hosts allow = 192.168.10.
   interfaces = 192.168.10.1/255.255.255.0
   browseable = yes

[data]
   path = /drive
   comment = Data Drive
   volume = Sample-Data-Drive
   writeable = yes
   guest ok = yes

I can get the drive shared another way but I don't understand why nobody
doesn't authenticate this. I got second user created with password set on win
box and smbpasswd the same and it can share the drive just fine of course.
Still shouldn't nobody make it possible to guest-share any specified drive
without password authentication?

mk