GNOME

Tim Schmidt computer_holic@hotmail.com
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 23:25:07 PDT

I've used KDE for a while, and am now familiar enough with it to realize
most of it's shortcomings (in usability and features).  Although most of my
gripes may be fixed in KDE 2.0, I'm trying out the latest version of GNOME.
So far, I have fired up the installer (probably the second easiest install
I've ever done, next to the GIMP).  It's incredibly easy, intuitive, and
even pretty.  It's currently 28% done downloading componenets and moving
pretty quickly over my 56k modem, a person on ISDN, Cable, or DSL would have
no problem whatsoever installing it in real-time.

If you want to get started, go to www.gnome.org, click on "get GNOME" and
follow the instructions.  This might be old news, I just found it and
decided to try it out.  I'll let everyone know what I think about it -- from
the perspective of a long time Windows victim ;) and 6 month old Linux user,
of which only the last few weeks (meybe a month or two, depending on your
definition) have been serious.

So far, this looks to me to be a quantum leep in installing a desktop
environment, if only installing XFree86 4.0 were as easy.  That reminds me,
can anyone explain in simple terms how to de-activate (uninstall) XFree86
3.3.6 and install XFree86 4.0 in it's place?  I have been using the
graphical login on my distro, but would be willing to give that up for the
newer X server, and accelerated drivers that go with it.

--Tim